“Double your pleasure, Double your fun, ………..
Do you remember this rhyme from an old television commercial? Usually, there were a couple of twin girls who sang the jingle. If you can finish it, then you’re of a certain generation.
Many people watched the Super Bowl for the entertainment pleasure of the ads as much as the actual game. Over the years, the Super Bowl has rewarded us with some of the best advertising money can buy, as millions of dollars were spent on brief but entertaining commercials.
This year’s Super Bowl ads, for the most part, were disappointing for message and humor. The Doritos ad with Chance the Rapper and The Backstreet Boys was pretty good, but other than that, ‘Meh’!
However, outside the Super Bowl, there have been some catchy ads over the years that are seared in our memories for both content and entertainment. Let’s have some fun, see if you can fill in the blanks of some of the old time ads. I’m sure you can do it…before looking at the answers.
1. Winston taste good ………
2. Please don’t ………. the Charmin
3. Fill it to the rim ………
4. Go Greyhound, and ……….
5. You’re in good hands ……….
6. Lucky Strike means ……….
7. Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya, ……….
8. See the USA ……….
9. Maxwell House coffee, Good ……….
10. Takes a lickin’ and ……….
Coffee commercials were very popular years ago and cigarette ads dominated the airwaves until they were banned.
Remember Wendy Hamburger’s line and the Little old lady who shouted, “Where’s the beef?” Everyone was saying it. Miller beer advertised their lite beer with a theme, ‘less filling, tastes great’. Celebrities would humorously debate which it was.
Can you think of some old time goodies? Sure you can, give us one or two and your score.
1. like a cigarette should! (cigarettes)
2. squeeze (toilet paper)
3. With Brim (decaffeinated coffee)
4 and leave the driving to us (bus company)
5. with Allstate (insurance)
6. Fine Tobacco (cigarettes)
7. Use more only if you dare (watch out, the gals will all persue ya, they love to get their fingers in your hair) (men’s hair cream)
8. In your Chevrolet (General Motors)
9. to the last drop!
10. keeps on tickin’ (Time watch)
How did you do?
srbottch.com (Feb 2019)
PS. ‘…Chew Doublemint, Doublemint, Doublemint gum!’